This is our honor.
• There is, of course, the decision itself: Obergefell v. Hodges (14-556)
• Or perhaps a headline: “Gay Marriage Supporters Win Supreme Court Victory”
• The author: “Kennedy: The Gay Marriage Justice”
• Another headline, this one somewhat overstated: “Texas Pastor Says He Will Set Himself On Fire In Protest Over Gay Marriage”
• Dissents or temper tantrums? “‘Ask the nearest hippie’: The conservative SCOTUS justices’ opinions on marriage equality are hilariously bitter”
• And why not ask a hippie? “We Asked the Nearest Hippie About Scalia: It Was David Crosby”
• GOP presidential timber, part one: “Constitutional Remedies to a Lawless Supreme Court”
• Fifty-four years, cookie dough, and Stonewall celebrations: “From Ice Cream To Ian McKellen: Reactions To Same-Sex Marriage Ruling”
• GOP presidential timber, part two: “Jindal: ‘Let’s just get rid of the court'”
• GOP presidential timber, part three: “Scott Walker calls for Constitutional amendment to let states define marriage”
• What a real President of the United States sounds like: “Remarks by the President on the Supreme Court Decision on Marriage Equality”
I would at this time raise a glass to homophobic traditionalists from Sea to Shining Sea; without your dedicated, horrifying zeal, we might never have come this far. Indeed, your own cruelty and hatred shepherded this day.
Drink up, dreamers of hatred and supremacism; you’re running dry.
Then again, we also know you’re nowhere near finished, at least in your own minds. We’re here. We will hold the line. We know you’re targeting children, now, and we will hold the line.
Image note: People celebrate inside the Stonewall Inn, an iconic gay bar recently granted historic landmark status, after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled same-sex couples have the right to marry in all 50 states. (Yana Paskova/Getty Images)