Brian Tashman of Right Wing Watch put together a brief list―and thank him, since that means you don’t have to do it yourself―of strange arguments offered in support of Kim Davis, the Rowan County, Kentucky clerk who asserts her ad hoc religion entitles her, as an equally protected constitutional right, to decide who is entitled to their equally protected constitutional rights.
The list itself is pretty straightforward except for its unbelievability; yet here we are, and this is real:
(1) God’s law trumps U.S. law
(2) Davis was elected before Obergefell, so she’s exempt
(3) Davis is the only clerk obeying the law
(4) Gays can just drive to another county
(5) Anti-religious test for office
While it is true that these are all nonsensical, we might take a moment to consider that first, reminding of two points: Insurrection and bad attorneys.