This is an American tragedy:
A 6-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his father Sunday night in Bartholomew County.
Investigators believe [James E.] Lonaker’s son picked up a 38-caliber revolver and fired a shot. Lonaker was apparently sitting on his desk and didn’t see his son pick up the gun.
And thus we reiterate the WRTV report:
• When not in use, firearm should be stored unloaded in a gun safe, lock box or other secure location, separate from the ammunition
• Make sure children and unauthorized users do not have access to your firearm or ammunition
• Before storing the firearm, ensure it is unloaded
• Always handle the firearm as if it were loaded
• Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot
• Always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction
Our condolences and grief, of course, to the Lonaker family and Hartsville community. Be well. I mean, you know. As much as possible on days like these.
McKinney, Matt and Katie Heinz. “6 year old accidentally shoots, kills father in Bartholomew County”. WRTV. 22 February 2016.